Monday, November 21, 2011

F1 2011 Brazilian GP Sim & Comparison

Simulation of the Brazilian GP has begun! Here's the results so far:

Team: Red Bull
Driver: Mark Webber
AI: Professional

DAY 1
FP1
Weather: Dry
P1 1:12.621 - Prime (white/medium) tire

FP2
Weather: Dry
P1 1:11.991 - Prime (white/medium) tire

Things will be interesting from here on out. Both FP3/Qualifying day and race day show 30-ish% chance of rain. Guess the patch (which addresses that pesky wet weather tire bug and a bunch of other wet weather related issues) came just in time eh? I do have a contingency for the comparison stage, should my conditions not match the real qualifying and/or race. I'll just rerun the session under the right conditions. Easy enough. Don't know if I like the possibility of having to run the full race twice, but at least I don't have to worry about the AI setting dry times on inters anymore! Woo!

Day 2 FP3 & Qualifying results coming soon!


UPDATE 11/22

DAY 2
FP3
Weather: Dry
P1 1:11.751 - Prime (white/medium) tire

QUALIFYING
Weather: Dry to Wet
Q1 - P1 1:11.927 - Prime (white/medium) tire
Q2 - P1 1:11.024 - Option (yellow/soft) tire
Q3 - P1 1:18.312 - Option (yellow/soft) tire

Pole position against the pro AI! Woo! But oh boy this whole thing with the weather might have me buggered come race day. I qualified with the dry set up, but I'm taking a gamble using the adjustable preset. If it rains I suspect it might not come until the end, and I may well be screwed by my slightly lower times by then. One advantage I've got for the first 16 laps or so though is being out in front. BUT...I think I might have REALLY buggered myself not putting fresh options on for Q3. The ones I've got for race start are 77%...which puts me on 3 stops. I think this could have been, and should have been, a one stopper. Utter failure to pay more attention on my part. I know it was a 1 stopper for all the top finishers in the 2010 real life race. Oh boy. MAYBE I can get lucky if the rest of the front runners decided to set up like I did. I think I should be praying for rain sometime during my 2nd stint. Oy. Well I'll never make that mistake again...

Day 3 Race Day results coming soon!


UPDATE 11/23

RACE DAY
Weather: Dry to Wet to Dry
Laps: 71
Results:
1st WEB (me) 1:30:26.095, Fastest Lap 1:11.822
2nd BUT +1 lap
3rd VET +1 lap

So...guess the worrying was for naught, lol. Oh my was this an interesting one! During the first stint on the worn options, I had about a second on the next guy, which pretty much confirmed that everyone was set up similarly to me. Somewhere between wet and dry setup. Still had my speed advantage then, in the relative sense. Bad news came at the end of that first stint when it became clear that I would need to pit ahead of schedule for new options, as the current ones were so worn that I was almost spinning every time I put the power down out of turns. Crap. I pit on lap 15 instead of the planned 16, and come out in 7th. Like my test races, I was able to set consistently fast times and catch the cars in front either with just speed or by passing them while they were pitted. I actually was able to execute that fairly quickly. Somewhere during this 2nd stint on options I really start putting time between me and 2nd, even more so when I start knifing through traffic and my chasers start getting majorly held up.  Hee hee. As the laps wear on, I get the call over the radio that rain is predicted in 10-15min. OH. HELL. YES. Last few laps of the 2nd stint, the rain droplets are coming down, but not hard so I stay out. Scheduled pit comes around and I decide to gamble and go on options again, thinking that the dry line might remain a while longer. If I go out on inters now, I could chew them up and ruin everything. I have the pit delta and come out still in first, and by 30+ seconds. But...I notice near the end of the lap that its gotten quite slippery, and even though it doesn't SEEM to be raining hard, water is kicking up as I'm negotiating the final turns. I have to pit IMMEDIATELY for inters or risk being too slow/having a serious crash if I'm caught out on options with the track properly wet now. I pit and request inters. Thankfully the mistake only costs me one place since I had built a gap up again during that one lap on options. I'm out of the pits in 2nd with the race leader not far in front...and he HASN'T PITTED FOR INTERS. YES!!! I catch him within a lap or so, and as I am about to make a move down the front straight he pits! Haha! It was pretty much history after that. Another pit for new inters, since I didn't think I could make it to the end of the rainy period on the current set, and I come out in the lead again no problem. By the time the rain stops and I get the call to come in for my primes, I have over a minute on 2nd. Onto primes and back out in first. Clear sailing for the remaining laps until finally the checkered flag is waved. Woo!

The cool thing about this race is that I had to make decisions and adjustments on the fly. Every gamble except that one with the options on my 2nd stop worked perfectly. The name of the game was preemptive pitting. Setup gamble was perfect. Timing of coming in for inters was perfect. I think when I went in for inters is what ultimately what won me the race, and that was my call.  Awesome! Not sure how this will match up with the real-life race this weekend. Its possible I may have to rerun qualifying and the race to match conditions. But boy did I have fun in this sim!!!

Real-life Brazilian GP Comparison coming soon!


UPDATE 11/25 - REAL LIFE COMPARISON

I'm comparing my time in the corresponding session to the real life top driver, Mark Webber, Sebastian Vettel, and Lewis Hamilton. For race day, I'm comparing total race time and fastest race lap to the top 3 finishers and the aforementioned 3 drivers.


FP1
-0:01.190 WEB
-0:01.340 HAM
-0:01.404 VET

REAL LIFE FP1 POSITION
P1

FP2
-0:01.401 HAM
-0:01.568 VET
-0:01.596 WEB

REAL LIFE FP2 POSITION
P1

Real life FP3 & Qualifying comparison coming soon!


UPDATE 11/26

FP3
-0:00.709 VET
-0:00.846 WEB
-0:00.871 HAM

REAL LIFE FP3 POSITION 
P1


QUALIFYING
Q1
-0:01.354 BUT
-0:01.434 HAM
-0:01.540 WEB
-0:01.737 VET

Q2
-0:01.422 VET
-0:01.634 WEB
-0:01.787 HAM

Because I had rain in my Q3 I will have to rerun it in dry conditions, so it won't be included in this update. But, since I did in fact have the top time against real life Q1 & Q2, and therefore made it to Q3, I averaged all of my dry times from each session to use as an estimate of a possible Q3 dry time...

ESTIMATED Q3 TIME
1:11.856

ESTIMATED Q3 POSITION
P1 (-0:00.062 VET)

So there you have it...my average quick lap was enough to nip Seb's pole lap. We'll see what happens when I do the rerun after the race weekend has concluded! I'm pretty sure the real race is going to have more rain than I had in my sim, so I'm probably going to have to rerun that, too. Might as well do it all at once! lol.

Real life Q3 & Race comparison coming soon!


UPDATE 11/27

As it turns out friends, I will not be re-running any sessions. In spite of the fact that I had rain and running on inters in my race...well. It's not necessary for me to go back in and try to get better times for the comparison LOL. And the Q3 estimate was good enough for my purposes! So, here's the results for race day:

RACE 
-0:01:51.369 WEB
-0:02:08.269 VET
-0:02:18.969 BUT

FASTEST LAP
-0:03.502 WEB
-0:04.254 VET
-0:03.758 BUT
-0:05.387 HAM

REAL LIFE FINISHING POSITION
P1

REAL LIFE FASTEST LAP POSITION
1st

Even with rain, I still trounced the real drivers! 2 wins in 3 races! Woo! Now you know why I'm not bothering to rerun my race even though there was a difference in conditions. Ta-ta until next time F1 friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment