Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Custom BOB Project!

Guys, I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Ranger Elite. This awesome little fellow is the subject of my latest figure customization project! Those of you that were around for last time know that my last project, recreating my Halo 3 spartan, was a huge success. I very much enjoyed the process, painstaking as it was, and I have been very much looking forward to an opportunity to do another custom. That's where Mr. Ranger Elite here comes in. This latest project will turn this little guy into none other than...
...This. That's right. That gold Ranger Elite that we so LOVE to wipe out, BOB! As many of my Halo friends can attest, I developed an almost fanatical obsession with wiping out BOBs that started after one of these guys RUINED a perfect speed run by making me roll my truck. From that moment, it was ON. A rather hilarious video of myself and my buddy Laraxa abusing the Winter Contingency BOBs followed, and every time a BOB hunting challenge comes along, we relish the chance to hunt and kill BOB. So yeah BOB has become a special iconic figure in my Halo Reach career, and it is with great pleasure that I will now get to recreate him by customizing a Ranger Elite figure.

I was thrilled to discover that not only my figure, but also the paint, arrived today! Here's the first of many in-progress pictures I will post as I work through this BOB project:
Here we see Mr. Ranger Elite all cleaned up and drying out in prep for the paint test I will do later this evening. Just going to apply a bit of the yellow to one of the toe armor plates, then let it dry to see how it looks. The yellow looks way bright in this photo, but its actually more the color of a road sign which should be perfect. If its a little bright, it should look better once the black wash is applied to dirty it up. If the paint test goes well, the jetpack will be the next thing. I'll paint and finish it completely with the wash as a sort of test for the rest of the figure.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll update later with a pic of the paint test.


UPDATE

As you can see, the paint test did not go the way I hoped. Mr. Ranger Elite will have to get the full white primer coat treatment. The good news is that when applied on clean white, the yellow is a lot more golden than it looks here. When all is said and done I should have a near perfect BOB.
  Primer coat #1 applied to toes, lower legs and jetpack. This should help the yellow look the way its supposed to. But its about 3 times more work! lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment