Thursday, December 29, 2011

F1 Playlist

As many of you know, I love music and like to create playlists to go along with the things that I'm into. Some of my notable ones from the past are 'Carrie Rieger Mix' (for my friend's movie 'Brotherhood of Blood') and 'Left 4 Dead' (goes with the game of the same name and was published in OXM). After much thought and tweaking, I think I've got my latest mix nailed down. Like the title says, its for F1 in general, not just for my much beloved Xbox game F1 2011.  It started with the song 'Champion' that's actually on the game's soundtrack, as well as a 3 Doors Down song that to me fits the sport perfectly, and it grew from there.

The playlist IS meant to be listened to in order, but works just as well on shuffle. The vibe is supposed to shift from pre-race/first race of season, to racing action, to the struggle for victory, to becoming champion at the end as you listen through while portraying the epic fun, excitement, and drama that is F1. As I list the tracks below, I'll talk a little bit about why each was chosen for the list.

1. 'Stadium Parking Lot' by Apollo 440 - Picture the cars parked on the grid, with all the fans and VIPs and media circulating. The building excitement as lights out looms before the race. I thought the fun and bombast of this song worked perfectly for pre-race. "There's a party in the stadium parking lot" as everyone gathers for the big race.

2. 'Back in the Saddle' by Aerosmith - "I'm baaaaaaaack/I'm baaack in the saddle again"...Could there be a more perfect badass song for the first race of a new season?

3. 'Line Up' by Aerosmith - The title alone on this one hints at why it was selected. Kick the tires, light the fires, hit the grid and 'line up' for lights out. "If you think that you're strong/wanna fight well come on/and line up".

4. 'Stop the Rock' by Apollo 440 - There's a reason why this one has appeared on the soundtrack for 'Gone in 60 Seconds' and Gran Turismo 2. Great fun tune for driving action

5. 'The Champion In Me' by 3 Doors Down - There isn't a song out there that could have better lyrics for F1 than this one. It embodies the climb from rookie to champ as well as the struggle to cross the line in P1. Not to mention it ROCKS. Essential track.

6. 'Cold Rock the Mic' by Apollo 440 - the last of 3 tracks from this artist, another good one for racing action. Also appeared in the Gran Turismo games.

7. 'The Distance' by Cake - If you are even remotely familiar with this song, you know it has to be part of this playlist. The rhythm, the zone, going the distance. Besides, the groove and opening verses are unbeatable: "Reluctantly crouched at the starting line/engines pumping and thumping in time/the green light flashes/the flags go up/churning and burning they yearn for the cup/they deftly maneuver and muscle for rank/fuel burning fast on an empty tank/reckless and wild they pour through the turns/their prowess is potent and secretly stern..."

8. 'Bulls on Parade' by Rage Against the Machine - The Red Bull theme. 'Nuff said.

9. 'Make Some Noise (Put 'Em Up)' by The Crystal Method - Cuz a TCM track is always good to go with intense racing. Strictly speaking, this one is about duking it out with one's fists, but it still fits perfectly with an intense wheel-to-wheel duel.

10. 'You've Got Another Thing Comin' by Judas Priest - All about the will to win. These lyrics say it all: "Ooh so hot/no time to take a rest/hang tough ain't room for second best/...out there is a fortune waiting to be had/you think I'll let it go you're mad/you've got another thing comin..."

11. 'I Won't Lie Down'(Remix) by Face to Face - Epic hard driving electronica remix of a great song, perfect for the epic final push to the finish, the refusal to lie down and accept defeat, no matter the odds or the cost. "I'm not afraid of the price I pay/I won't lie down as you walk away..."

12. 'Champion' by Clement Marfo & The Frontline - The victory anthem. "I'm feelin 10 feet tall/unstoppable/I'm the champion/...why you comin back for more?/I'm undefeatable/I'm the champion.."

13. 'Good Time' by Leroy - I always remember this as being the feel good song in 'Driven' after the day had been won. Even though the actual lyrics don't match up much the vibe is spot on. This is the anthem for parc ferme, raining confetti, and the taste of champagne. Are you having a good time? HELL YEAH.

Hope you all enjoy the playlist!

No comments:

Post a Comment