Tuesday, October 9, 2012

F1 2011 Race Report - RaceDepartment Random Fun 10 Spa 100%

Team: Sauber
Participants: 3 + 21 Legend AI
Qualifying: P20
Race: P2
Objective: Finish 19th or better PASSED



Qualifying:
Disastrous...Run 1 Setup was all wrong, and I think also I might have been struggling due to using a different television than I learned to play the game on. I got into the wall going wide coming up to the top of Eau Rouge, taking off my front wing in the tire wall. Run 2 Best I could manage on 1 hot lap was 1:49.610, which was only good enough for P19. By the time I got back to the garage I had slipped to P20. Worst of all, I did not have enough time for another run. I was stuck well down the grid behind a lot of AI. Work would be cut out for me in this final round of the series. The only good news was that benny had waited until the last minute to roll out for his run and then made an error that disqualified him from the session. He would start behind me dead last in P24 having set no time.

Race:
I decided to stick with the recommended tire strategy, which was option-option-prime (and starting on options). If I could be good and fast on the softer rubber, I might be able to continually undercut the drivers ahead to pass them when they pit after me, then have a nice long run on primes for my final stint to at least keep me in position if not catch anyone still ahead that would need be stopping after me to end on options. Lap 1 I get an excellent start and come away from the first turn in P7, in spite of coming in way hotter than I intended. What matters is I got through spin and penalty free! I am however experiencing a lot of lag with the AI cars, watching them bouncing and popping in and out ahead of me. I'm struggling a bit on high fuel and then have an incident coming around turn 16 where it seemed like the AI car behind suddenly lagged forward, slamming into me on the inside. I slide sideways into the gravel trap and get up on two wheels, nearly flipping over. Somehow, I escape damage and get back underway in P10. Lap 5 Bizzare AI weirdness courtesy of network lag. Luckily, I don't get crashed out. It looks like my front wing gets destroyed, but status shows its ok. Passing the lagged AI carefully enough to not crash is going to be tough. Lap 6 Button & Rosberg AI both overshoot turn 7 at the end of the Kemmel straight and nearly take me out when they re-enter unsafely. Lap 8 Button AI is giving me hell but I get DRS on him and get him on the inside at turn 7. I'm now P5 with a couple of laps to go in my first stint. FrenziedSine has long since disappeared off into the distance, but benny is still somewhere back behind. Lap 10 Pit stop for options. Come out P11 with benny having gone past. Lap 15 My undercut strategy has worked. I've caught all the AI drivers and am P3 when benny ahead hits pit lane. I pass him to take over P2. Lap 20 Pit stop for options. Come out still in P2. Benny was behind me in P3 but has dropped to P4 behind Vettel AI. A couple laps later he's dropped even further back. Maybe a pit stop for damage? Lap 29 Around Lap 24 benny starts setting blinding laps, setting fast lap several times in a row. He is about 2sec behind me when I decide to hit pit lane one lap early for my final stop to fit primes. I'm hoping to undercut him and get by when he makes his last stop. I come out P3. Lap 34 I am able to stay within the pit delta and pass benny when he stops to take back P2. Lap 35 Benny is a lot faster than I am on his options. He has closed the gap and gets DRS on me down Kemmel. Unfortunately I am lagged out and getting hit going around turn 7 so I have to let him pass or risk crashing. Drop back to P3. Lap 43 Benny has pulled out a 23sec lead, even getting another fast lap, and though I know P3 is probably where I will finish, I am still pushing in the hopes that I could take advantage if he makes some kind of mistake. Then I hear him say over my headset that he's got a puncture. He has to do a whole lap on the bad tire. I catch him at turn 15 where he has gone off into the gravel and go by to once again take back P2. He pits behind me, and I have a clear run to the end. Lap 44 Finish in P2 on the lead lap to clinch third place in the series!


RaceDepartment Random Fun League Stats

Starts: 8
Finishes: 7
Best Grid: P3 (x2)
Best Race: P2 (x2)
Podiums: 4
Wins: 0
Points: 98
3rd place in series
---------------------------------
RaceDepartment Lifetime F1 Games Club Stats

Starts: 16
Finishes: 14
Best Grid: P3 (x2)
Best Race: P1
Podiums: 6
Wins: 1
Points: 168

No comments:

Post a Comment